LIFE HACKS: 42 Hacks to Simplify Life
Life Hack 101: Oh, the simplest way to explain what a Life Hack is, is from Wikipedia which says, "The term life hack refers to productivity tricks that computer programmers devise and employ to cut through information overload and organize their data. In more recent times, the same phrase has expanded to any sort of trick, shortcut, skill, or novelty method to increase productivity and efficiency, in all walks of life; in other words, anything that solves an everyday problem in a clever or non-obvious way might be called a life hack."
Here's why I love hacks: they're always (usually) the simplest way to perform a task, find a solution, or just improve over the old ways. It's kind of a throw back to my "laziness vs resourcefulness" blog entry; see, these tips aren't lazy, they're just resourceful. And that's why I love them.
Now then on to the hacks!
1. Always fumbling through your keys and can't tell which is which?
2. Have wooden furniture with scratches, scuffs, and dings?
3. Wrapping paper always wearing you out by wriggling out of it's wrap roll?
4. Going to the beach and worried about scallywag pirates looting your beach bag when you're frolicking in the waves?
(Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow can loot my beach bag anytime he wants to.)
5. Did you roll out of bed as a kid? Do it now? Have kids that do it? (I hear it's genetic and hereditary. I used to do it.)
6. Hate is too strong of a word but I severely dislike those "sealed-shut-hard-plastic-death-cut-your-fingers-packaging" blister packs that items come in, don't you?
7. Can't recycle that shampoo bottle because the recycle code isn't one that your sanitation department facility can process? Go green with it!
8. Blew out your flip-flops after stepping on a pop top?
9. This one could save your life. Have cloudy headlights but don't wanna waste money on that infomercial we've all seen?
10. Hate digging under the sink for all your cleaning products?
11. Running out of room in your closet? (Hack for the "too many clothes situation" immediately following.)
12. Have too many clothes in your closet?
13. Can't fit that mopping bucket into your sink and don't want to stoop over the bathroom tub?
14. Got a new key chain that's completely hard to open to fit even your fingernail, let alone keys?
15. Renovating the house by splashing some new color on the walls but hate drips?
16. Have hard water deposits clogging your once and former glorious Water Massager 9000X Chrome Shower Head reducing it to trickle like a kinked garden hose?
17. Misplaced the garden trowel or the dust pan or the chimney scoop or the kid's beach shovels?
18. Tied that plastic bag too tight and now it's in a tiny little infuriating knot?
19. Dropped your earring or a small electrical component on the floor and it rolled somewhere?
20. Just brought home a six pack and don't wanna wait for it to cool down? Or left your pack of soda pop in the car and now it's the temperature of coffee?
21. Need more time finishing that Essay Paper or your Thesis or you next big Office Project and it's due today?
22. Lost your phone charger and don't want to spend a prohibitive amount on a necessary accessory?
23. Stuck at a crummy hotel/motel and nothing good is on TV to spice things up? Brown Chicken, Brown Cow.
24. Tires looking low but you don't have any quarters?
Just drive over to a Shell station to the air pump, push the button on the side of the machine 3 times in a row. The pump will start without you having to insert any coins. Free Air!
25. Need to cancel your hotel reservations but it's already past the date of the cancellation policy (causing you to lose money by having to pay cancellation fees)?
26. Stuck at an airport and don't want to pay for Wi-Fi?
27. Got a new job and need to wake up at 5am instead of 8am? Just wanna reset your sleep schedule because you want more daylight in your day?
28. Hate backsplash when going number two? (You know, that little drop of water that springs back up and makes your buttocks pucker at the cold... you know.)
29. Want the superpower to see in the dark? Hate waking up in the middle of the night to go potty and then hitting your toe on the dresser on the way back from not being able to see in the dark after the brightness of the lights?
30. Guys, don't want to miss the target when peeing in the middle of the night?
31. Sinus pressure got you feeling down?
32. Car too far away to unlock or the remote gate key too far away from the sensor?
33. Some person in line behind you at the supermarket called you something nasty under their breath and you want them to suffer a little? Or is that little machine just acting funny?
34. Hate waiting in an elevator for all the floors previously pressed until your floor is reached?
35. Car lock or house lock iced up and frozen over because it was nasty, wet, and cold outside?
36. Batteries not included?
37. Have a watch that is no longer ticking because the battery died? Don't want to pay 20 bucks to get it replaced?
38. It's baking time and your apple peels are going to waste? Or you have finicky kids that don't like the peel?
39. Gotta pipe frosting onto a cake or cupcakes in time for the bake sale?
40. Always have a habit of running late? Just paranoid?
Whether it's for work or for a hot date, punctuality can be preserved by making a playlist exactly as long as you have to get ready. Start with relaxing songs that progressively get more energetic. You will be able to tell how you're doing on time by what song you're listening to, and if your music stops, then you're running late.
41. Hate watching your minutes drag by on gym equipment during your workouts?
This is a great hack for running a mile (or five) on the treadmill at the gym so you never have to constantly look down at the machine for a time readout, which sometimes seem to go backward if we really don't feel like working out that day. If you know it takes you 12 minutes to run a mile, fill your playlist with songs to add up to 12 minutes. make sure they're songs that you feel like moving to and that you enjoy, start it up when you begin running, throw a towel over those nasty little red glowing numbers, and enjoy your musical run. When your songs are over, that mile will have been run, all without having to stare at analog numbers.
42. Feel a stubborn sneeze creeping up but it just won't happen?
To sneeze faster simply stare up at a bright light and your sneeze will happen more quickly than just waiting on it.
That concludes the list for now. Have a great hackful day!
Until Next Time,
Myself and Things I've Learned
Hack a Day